Six arrested for forcible abortion of newly-wed woman
Thane: The Thane Police arrested a couple and their three children for allegedly harassing a newly-wed woman and forcing her to abort after she became pregnant, the police said here Thursday.
The arrested persons were produced before the local Kalyan magistrate who remanded them in police custody until November 30, the police officer at the Kolsewadi police station at Kalyan said tonight.
Police inspector V K Hirey of the Kolsewadi police station said that the 27-year-old victim was married to one Sanjay Manohar Waghmare (31) and the couple lived in Kalyan.
However, the woman`s in-laws started harassing her and even forced her to abort when she was a couple of months pregnant.
The woman`s parents lodged a police complaint that her in-laws also got a Kalyan doctor`s certificate declaring her to be a lunatic, before forcing her to abort.
The main accused in the case owns a shoe shop in the town and his relatives work in the railways and in top positions in the Maharashtra state secretariat.
Names of those arrested are Sanjay Manohar Sonawane, (31) Santosh Manohar Sonawane (27), Manohar Somnath Sonawane (56), Vimal Manohar Sonawane (46), Ashwini Manohar Sonawane (27) and Archana Amit Vanmare (29).
The Kolshewadi police, which has taken up the case are probing the case further, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials