Six arrested for forcible abortion of newly-wed woman
Thane: The Thane Police arrested a couple and their three children for allegedly harassing a newly-wed woman and forcing her to abort after she became pregnant, the police said here Thursday.
The arrested persons were produced before the local Kalyan magistrate who remanded them in police custody until November 30, the police officer at the Kolsewadi police station at Kalyan said tonight.
Police inspector V K Hirey of the Kolsewadi police station said that the 27-year-old victim was married to one Sanjay Manohar Waghmare (31) and the couple lived in Kalyan.
However, the woman`s in-laws started harassing her and even forced her to abort when she was a couple of months pregnant.
The woman`s parents lodged a police complaint that her in-laws also got a Kalyan doctor`s certificate declaring her to be a lunatic, before forcing her to abort.
The main accused in the case owns a shoe shop in the town and his relatives work in the railways and in top positions in the Maharashtra state secretariat.
Names of those arrested are Sanjay Manohar Sonawane, (31) Santosh Manohar Sonawane (27), Manohar Somnath Sonawane (56), Vimal Manohar Sonawane (46), Ashwini Manohar Sonawane (27) and Archana Amit Vanmare (29).
The Kolshewadi police, which has taken up the case are probing the case further, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in