Six cops injured in attack by villagers in Thane
Thane: At least six police personnel were injured when a group of villagers allegedly attacked them with stones here, district rural police said on Thursday.
One person has so far been arrested in this connection, they said.
The incident occurred when a team of personnel from the Arnala Police Station in Vasai area of Thane district went to take action against illegal dredging in Narangi village yesterday.
While the police team was taking action against some persons dredging illegally and seizing the suction pumps, the villagers hurled stones at them thus injuring six of them, including a police inspector and an assistant sub-inspector, police said.
The policemen were treated at a local hospital.
Police have registered an offence against the mob of villagers under sections - 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting), 149, 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty), 333 and 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means) of the IPC.
One person has been arrested in connection with the attack, police said, adding that they are on the look of others who were part of the mob which attacked the police party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi