Six drug peddlers held in Nashik
Nashik: Six members of a gang allegedly involved in drug trafficking were arrested in Nashik and `charas` worth Rs 14 lakh was recovered from them, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, the local crime branch intercepted two cars near Adgaon-Shivar on the Mumbai-Agra national highway on Wednesday night, Nashik Commissioner of Police Kulwant Kumar Sarangal told reporters last evening.
During the search, charas was found hidden in bags, he said.
According to preliminary information, the drug was being transported from Nepal border of Uttar Pradesh.
The main leader of the gang is yet to be arrested, police said.
The accused have been identified as Shaikh Nazir Ahmed, Nikhil Suresh Gaikwad, Javed Jabbar Khatik, Salman Osman Shaikh, Ilyyas Mehmood Shaikh and Chandrashekhar Shorekar.
A case was registered against them and the drug samples were sent to forensic laboratory for examination, police said.
The accused were produced in a local court which remanded them to police custody till December 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’