Six drug peddlers held in Nashik
Nashik: Six members of a gang allegedly involved in drug trafficking were arrested in Nashik and `charas` worth Rs 14 lakh was recovered from them, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, the local crime branch intercepted two cars near Adgaon-Shivar on the Mumbai-Agra national highway on Wednesday night, Nashik Commissioner of Police Kulwant Kumar Sarangal told reporters last evening.
During the search, charas was found hidden in bags, he said.
According to preliminary information, the drug was being transported from Nepal border of Uttar Pradesh.
The main leader of the gang is yet to be arrested, police said.
The accused have been identified as Shaikh Nazir Ahmed, Nikhil Suresh Gaikwad, Javed Jabbar Khatik, Salman Osman Shaikh, Ilyyas Mehmood Shaikh and Chandrashekhar Shorekar.
A case was registered against them and the drug samples were sent to forensic laboratory for examination, police said.
The accused were produced in a local court which remanded them to police custody till December 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred