Six held for gold heist in Nashik
Thane: The police on Saturday claimed to have achieved a major breakthrough in the jewellery shop heist case of October 1, 2013, in Nashik with the arrest of six persons.
Addressing a press conference here, Thane Commissioner of Police KP Raghuvanshi said that gold jewellery worth Rs 3.80 crore had been recovered from the accused along with Rs 26.40 lakh in cash.
The arrested persons have been identified as Chandrashekar Rane (29), Rajdutt Rane (33) both from Nashik, Kartik Devendra (22), Deepak Dalvi (33), Rupesh Ranpise (31) and Jeevan Singh (28), all residents of Dombivili.
According to Raghuvanshi, the gang members, inspired by the Hindi film `Special 26`, had "raided" Manappuram Jewellers in Nashik after posing as CBI and law enforcement officials and decamped with the jewellery weighing around 14kg along with the cash.
A couple of days back, Vishnu Nagar police here arrested three accused in connection with a house break-in case. During interrogation, the trio told police that they were involved in the Nashik jewellery heist.
According to police, Chandrashekar used to visit the jewellery shop as a computer mechanic and came to know about its workings.
"He later hatched a plan along with his associates to loot the shop," police said, adding that the probe was still on in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS