Six hundred doctors who went on strike sacked, Maharashtra govt tells HC
Mumbai: Maharashtra government informed the Bombay High Court on Wednesday that it had terminated services of 600 medical officers at government hospitals for not attending to the patients during a recent strike of doctors.
A public interest litigation filed by advocate Gunratan Sadavarte claims that as many as 80 patients died as there was nobody to attend to them during the strike period.
The division bench headed by Justice Naresh Patil today directed the government to ask an independent agency to find out if these deaths were caused by absence of doctors.
Court also suggested that the government evolve a permanent mechanism to deal with strikes of doctors.
Earlier this month the court had rapped the state for failure to deal with the strike. The court had sought to know whether departmental action had been taken against the doctors who went on strike between July 1 to 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves