Six killed in Pune building collapse
Pune: Six persons were killed and about five others are still feared trapped under the debris of a four-storey residential building that caved in at Sahakar Nagar area here on Monday, police said.
Bodies of five men and a woman were extricated by Fire officials from under the rubble of the building located near Taljai hillock, they said.
Rescue work was still on at the site to trace five more persons suspected to be trapped under the debris, Fire officials said.
According to a Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) spokesman, the building was an unauthorised construction and a notice had already been served on its owners for demolition.
Municipal Commissioner Mahesh Pathak said PMC would file a complaint against the owners following the mishap.
According to sources, most of the victims were construction workers staying in the precarious structure.
Chief Fire Officer Prashant Ranpise earlier said that the accident took place when the slab was being placed on the under-construction structure.
“We got a call around 1.45 noon. The building was under construction. The slab work was going on...As labourers were working, the building collapsed,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- Airtel proposes Rs 30 crore annual package to Sunil Mittal
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope