Six new terror recruits planted bombs: Maha ATS
Mumbai: Investigators on Tuesday believed at
least six newly recruited terrorists could have been involved
in placing explosives in the triple bombings but there were no
signs of a breakthrough in the probe nearly a week after the
Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad(ATS), probing last
Wednesday`s Mumbai serial blasts, also suspect that the
suspected attackers might have gone in pairs at the three
sites--Opera House, Zaveri Bazar and Dadar--and that they have
links with Gujarat and West Bengal. No organisation has so far
The death toll in the attack rose to 20 with one
person, Ashok Bhata (45), succumbing to his injuries today
while undergoing treatment in a government hospital here.
"During our meetings with the various security agencies
including NIA, there was an unanimous opinion that there could
be at least six accused who must have been involved in the
operation of placing the explosives at the (three) sites,"
an ATS official said.
They all must have been newly recruited in the terror
outfit responsible for the blasts, the official said, adding
they might have gone to the sites in pairs.
"We have a reason to believe that the terrorists could
have strong links with Gujarat and Kolkata," the officer said
but refused to divulge further details.
The nationwide hunt by the investigators was also
intensified in an attempt to get some solid leads that could
help them to nab the attackers.
The perpetrators of the blasts had kept explosives in a
tiffin box at Zaveri Bazaar while the nature of metallic
containers in which the bombs were kept at Dadar and Opera
house is not yet clear, the official added.
The state ATS, Mumbai Crime Branch and National
Investigating Agency(NIA) held a meeting that went on for
several hours in which the progress of the case was reviewed
and investigation angles were discussed, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM