Slapgate: NCP, Anna supporters clash in Ralegan
Ralegan Siddhi: Tempers ran high at Anna Hazare`s native village when NCP supporters descended there on Friday to protest his remarks following yesterday`s attack on Sharad Pawar, sparking a face-off with locals and anti-graft campaigner`s aides.
Hazare, who himself arrived to face the agitated NCP workers, clarified that he had condemned the assault on Pawar, but questioned why were they so agitated over the incident
and did not express the same anger when farmers were beaten.
Several slogan-shouting supporters of the NCP, which has called a bandh to protest the incident, had arrived here from adjoining areas, to demand that Hazare express regret
over his controversial statement.
As the protesters marched towards the landmark Yadav
Baba temple, once the abode of Hazare, the security personnel
deployed there stopped them.
Soon, a large number of villagers, including women and
children collected at the spot and squatted in front of
the demonstrators. The NCP supporters also sat on a dharna.
A police contingent present for providing security to Hazare intervened to calm frayed tempers as the two sides readied for a face-off.
Later, Hazare arrived on the scene and said he had already denounced the attack on NCP president.
"I have already condemned the attack on Sharad Pawar,"
he told them.
The Gandhian, however, wanted to know why the NCP
activists were so agitated over the assault on Pawar.
"Why are you so angry now? Why don`t you get angry when the farmers are lathicharged?" Hazare asked.
Hazare had committed a faux pas in front of TV cameras
with his reaction to the attack on Pawar, first appearing to
respond with contempt and later condemning it.
"He got slapped! Only one slap?" he had said to a
group of journalists.
He had, however, later condemned the attack, saying
there was no place for violence in a democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption