Slapgate: NCP, Anna supporters clash in Ralegan
Ralegan Siddhi: Tempers ran high at Anna Hazare`s native village when NCP supporters descended there on Friday to protest his remarks following yesterday`s attack on Sharad Pawar, sparking a face-off with locals and anti-graft campaigner`s aides.
Hazare, who himself arrived to face the agitated NCP workers, clarified that he had condemned the assault on Pawar, but questioned why were they so agitated over the incident
and did not express the same anger when farmers were beaten.
Several slogan-shouting supporters of the NCP, which has called a bandh to protest the incident, had arrived here from adjoining areas, to demand that Hazare express regret
over his controversial statement.
As the protesters marched towards the landmark Yadav
Baba temple, once the abode of Hazare, the security personnel
deployed there stopped them.
Soon, a large number of villagers, including women and
children collected at the spot and squatted in front of
the demonstrators. The NCP supporters also sat on a dharna.
A police contingent present for providing security to Hazare intervened to calm frayed tempers as the two sides readied for a face-off.
Later, Hazare arrived on the scene and said he had already denounced the attack on NCP president.
"I have already condemned the attack on Sharad Pawar,"
he told them.
The Gandhian, however, wanted to know why the NCP
activists were so agitated over the assault on Pawar.
"Why are you so angry now? Why don`t you get angry when the farmers are lathicharged?" Hazare asked.
Hazare had committed a faux pas in front of TV cameras
with his reaction to the attack on Pawar, first appearing to
respond with contempt and later condemning it.
"He got slapped! Only one slap?" he had said to a
group of journalists.
He had, however, later condemned the attack, saying
there was no place for violence in a democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice