Slapgate: NCP, Anna supporters clash in Ralegan
Ralegan Siddhi: Tempers ran high at Anna Hazare`s native village when NCP supporters descended there on Friday to protest his remarks following yesterday`s attack on Sharad Pawar, sparking a face-off with locals and anti-graft campaigner`s aides.
Hazare, who himself arrived to face the agitated NCP workers, clarified that he had condemned the assault on Pawar, but questioned why were they so agitated over the incident
and did not express the same anger when farmers were beaten.
Several slogan-shouting supporters of the NCP, which has called a bandh to protest the incident, had arrived here from adjoining areas, to demand that Hazare express regret
over his controversial statement.
As the protesters marched towards the landmark Yadav
Baba temple, once the abode of Hazare, the security personnel
deployed there stopped them.
Soon, a large number of villagers, including women and
children collected at the spot and squatted in front of
the demonstrators. The NCP supporters also sat on a dharna.
A police contingent present for providing security to Hazare intervened to calm frayed tempers as the two sides readied for a face-off.
Later, Hazare arrived on the scene and said he had already denounced the attack on NCP president.
"I have already condemned the attack on Sharad Pawar,"
he told them.
The Gandhian, however, wanted to know why the NCP
activists were so agitated over the assault on Pawar.
"Why are you so angry now? Why don`t you get angry when the farmers are lathicharged?" Hazare asked.
Hazare had committed a faux pas in front of TV cameras
with his reaction to the attack on Pawar, first appearing to
respond with contempt and later condemning it.
"He got slapped! Only one slap?" he had said to a
group of journalists.
He had, however, later condemned the attack, saying
there was no place for violence in a democracy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India