Slapgate: NCP, Anna supporters clash in Ralegan
Ralegan Siddhi: Tempers ran high at Anna Hazare`s native village when NCP supporters descended there on Friday to protest his remarks following yesterday`s attack on Sharad Pawar, sparking a face-off with locals and anti-graft campaigner`s aides.
Hazare, who himself arrived to face the agitated NCP workers, clarified that he had condemned the assault on Pawar, but questioned why were they so agitated over the incident
and did not express the same anger when farmers were beaten.
Several slogan-shouting supporters of the NCP, which has called a bandh to protest the incident, had arrived here from adjoining areas, to demand that Hazare express regret
over his controversial statement.
As the protesters marched towards the landmark Yadav
Baba temple, once the abode of Hazare, the security personnel
deployed there stopped them.
Soon, a large number of villagers, including women and
children collected at the spot and squatted in front of
the demonstrators. The NCP supporters also sat on a dharna.
A police contingent present for providing security to Hazare intervened to calm frayed tempers as the two sides readied for a face-off.
Later, Hazare arrived on the scene and said he had already denounced the attack on NCP president.
"I have already condemned the attack on Sharad Pawar,"
he told them.
The Gandhian, however, wanted to know why the NCP
activists were so agitated over the assault on Pawar.
"Why are you so angry now? Why don`t you get angry when the farmers are lathicharged?" Hazare asked.
Hazare had committed a faux pas in front of TV cameras
with his reaction to the attack on Pawar, first appearing to
respond with contempt and later condemning it.
"He got slapped! Only one slap?" he had said to a
group of journalists.
He had, however, later condemned the attack, saying
there was no place for violence in a democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February