Smita Khanapure elected Latur mayor
Latur: Smita Khanapure of Congress was on Monday elected as the first Mayor of Latur city.
The first municipal polls in Latur were held for 70 seats on May 15, in which Congress emerged victorious by winning 49 seats.
Suresh Pawar, also of Congress, was elected Deputy Mayor.
Congress has two-third majority in the House, with the party bagging 49 of the 70 seats under the leadership of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
The seat for Mayor was reserved for a woman (general class).
Both Khanapure and Pawar bagged 49 votes each while Shiv Sena`s mayoral candidate Sunita Chalak got six and Snehlata Agarwal of NCP got 13.
For the post of deputy mayor, Suresh Pawar bagged 49, Mahadev Gaikwad of NCP-13 and Sambhaji Baspure of Shiv Sena polled six votes. Two members of the RPI remained neutral.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured