Smita Khanapure elected Latur mayor
Latur: Smita Khanapure of Congress was on Monday elected as the first Mayor of Latur city.
The first municipal polls in Latur were held for 70 seats on May 15, in which Congress emerged victorious by winning 49 seats.
Suresh Pawar, also of Congress, was elected Deputy Mayor.
Congress has two-third majority in the House, with the party bagging 49 of the 70 seats under the leadership of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
The seat for Mayor was reserved for a woman (general class).
Both Khanapure and Pawar bagged 49 votes each while Shiv Sena`s mayoral candidate Sunita Chalak got six and Snehlata Agarwal of NCP got 13.
For the post of deputy mayor, Suresh Pawar bagged 49, Mahadev Gaikwad of NCP-13 and Sambhaji Baspure of Shiv Sena polled six votes. Two members of the RPI remained neutral.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing