Smita Khanapure elected Latur mayor
Latur: Smita Khanapure of Congress was on Monday elected as the first Mayor of Latur city.
The first municipal polls in Latur were held for 70 seats on May 15, in which Congress emerged victorious by winning 49 seats.
Suresh Pawar, also of Congress, was elected Deputy Mayor.
Congress has two-third majority in the House, with the party bagging 49 of the 70 seats under the leadership of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
The seat for Mayor was reserved for a woman (general class).
Both Khanapure and Pawar bagged 49 votes each while Shiv Sena`s mayoral candidate Sunita Chalak got six and Snehlata Agarwal of NCP got 13.
For the post of deputy mayor, Suresh Pawar bagged 49, Mahadev Gaikwad of NCP-13 and Sambhaji Baspure of Shiv Sena polled six votes. Two members of the RPI remained neutral.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself