"Social Justice dept to look into grievances of eunuchs"
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court, hearing a PIL on the plight of eunuchs, was on Tuesday informed by the central government that the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment would be looking into the grievances of the community.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Nitin Jamdar was hearing a public interest litigation filed by an NGO `Salvation of Oppressed Eunuchs` seeking for eunuchs to be treated as humans with fundamental rights and also be given the right to vote.
The PIL has demanded that the eunuch community be treated as minority and that the laws applicable to the Scheduled Castes and Tribes should also be applicable to them.
"The atrocities and crimes committed against eunuchs should be taken seriously and the culprits be punished. Even passing of derogatory remarks should be punishable under law," the petition stated.
It also sought for sections 375 and 377 of IPC be amended to include transsexuals and eunuchs in the definition of the term Rape.
Advocate Rui Rodrigues, appearing for the central government, today told the court that the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment in consultation with its sectoral departments was looking into the grievances faced by eunuchs.
The bench observed that the government should be given time to consider the problem and come up with solution and posted the PIL for hearing in January 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day