Sonawane murder: Crackdown on oil mafia; over 180 in police net
Mumbai: Launching a crack down on the oil adulteration mafia following the murder of additional District Collector Yashwant Sonawane, authorities on Thursday carried out raids at nearly 200 places in Maharashtra and arrested over 180 people.
The action comes two days after Sonawane, a Maharashtra cadre officer, was burnt alive allegedly by persons associated with the oil mafia near Sagar Dhaba at
Manmad in Nashik district in broad daylight.
"So far, more than 180 persons have been arrested during the raids at nearly 200 oil adulteration locations in the state," Additional Director General (Law & Order) KP Raghuvanshi said.
The 42-year-old Malegaon Additional Collector was accompanied by his personal assistant and driver when the brazen killing took place here, about 260 kms from here.
Eleven persons have been arrested in connection with the murder while the main accused Popat Shinde, suspected to have had set the Collector on fire, has been admitted in state-run JJ hospital here with severe burn injuries.
Shinde`s condition is serious and he has been kept under observation, doctors at the hospital said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?