Sonawane murder: Crackdown on oil mafia; over 180 in police net
Mumbai: Launching a crack down on the oil adulteration mafia following the murder of additional District Collector Yashwant Sonawane, authorities on Thursday carried out raids at nearly 200 places in Maharashtra and arrested over 180 people.
The action comes two days after Sonawane, a Maharashtra cadre officer, was burnt alive allegedly by persons associated with the oil mafia near Sagar Dhaba at
Manmad in Nashik district in broad daylight.
"So far, more than 180 persons have been arrested during the raids at nearly 200 oil adulteration locations in the state," Additional Director General (Law & Order) KP Raghuvanshi said.
The 42-year-old Malegaon Additional Collector was accompanied by his personal assistant and driver when the brazen killing took place here, about 260 kms from here.
Eleven persons have been arrested in connection with the murder while the main accused Popat Shinde, suspected to have had set the Collector on fire, has been admitted in state-run JJ hospital here with severe burn injuries.
Shinde`s condition is serious and he has been kept under observation, doctors at the hospital said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal