Sonia deliberates on new Maharashtra PCC chief
New Delhi: The issue of appointing a new
Maharashtra PCC president was deliberated by Congress
president Sonia Gandhi at a meeting with senior party leaders
Gandhi discussed the matter with senior leaders AK
Antony, who is in-charge of party affairs in Maharashtra, and
her political secretary Ahmed Patel.
The meeting took place in the light of the Maharashtra
Congress authorising her to nominate the new PCC chief. Gandhi
is engaged in the process of deciding the PCC chiefs for all
states following her re-election as party chief recently.
The meeting assumes significance against the backdrop
of a controversy involving PCC chief Manikrao Thakre over
collection of funds from Congress ministers in Maharashtra for
Sonia`s rally in Sewagram yesterday.
The Opposition has attacked the Congress over the
issue and demanded a judicial probe into the alleged fund
collection by Maharashtra Congress leaders.
The demand was made by Leader of Opposition in the
state Assembly Eknath Khadse after TV channels showed footage
of two senior Congress leaders including Thakre allegedly
discussing matters relating to fund collection.
The video showed Thakre speaking with former minister
Satish Chaturvedi about fund collection from Congress
ministers, including Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, for the
rally that was yesterday addressed by Gandhi.
Chavan has said all the money raised for the rally has
been accounted for.
A tussle is on between the supporters and detractors
of the Chief Minister over the issue of appointing a new PCC
chief. While the Chief Minister supports another term for
Thakre, Union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and some Maharashtra
ministers are opposed to his re-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now