SP demands CBI probe into IM operative`s murder
Mumbai: The Maharashtra unit of Samajwadi Party on Monday demanded a CBI probe into the murder of alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative Mohammad Qateel Siddiqui inside Pune`s Yerawada Central Jail.
Expressing dissatisfaction over handing over the murder probe to the CID, party`s Maharashtra chief Abu Azmi said, "Only the central investigative agency can conduct a fair and impartial probe into the killing of Qateel."
"We demand that the court should monitor the CBI investigation into the murder of Mohammad Qateel Siddiqui," he said at a press conference here, adding that the state government should give Rs 25 lakh compensation to Qateel`s kin.
He alleged that undertrials, especially those accused in terror activities, were not safe inside the prisons in the state.
"The court should even monitor the security of Muslim prisoners accused in terror activities," he said.
The SP leader also said that he had met Qateel`s wife, who claimed that her husband had told her that he feared for his life in Yerawada jail. "This shows that he was aware that his life was in danger, yet nothing was done," Azmi said.
26-year-old Qateel, who was named in Bangalore stadium blast, Delhi Jama Masjid firing case and an abortive attempt to bomb a temple in Pune, was allegedly strangled to death inside the high security Yerawada Central Jail by inmates on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch