SP demands CBI probe into IM operative`s murder
Mumbai: The Maharashtra unit of Samajwadi Party on Monday demanded a CBI probe into the murder of alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative Mohammad Qateel Siddiqui inside Pune`s Yerawada Central Jail.
Expressing dissatisfaction over handing over the murder probe to the CID, party`s Maharashtra chief Abu Azmi said, "Only the central investigative agency can conduct a fair and impartial probe into the killing of Qateel."
"We demand that the court should monitor the CBI investigation into the murder of Mohammad Qateel Siddiqui," he said at a press conference here, adding that the state government should give Rs 25 lakh compensation to Qateel`s kin.
He alleged that undertrials, especially those accused in terror activities, were not safe inside the prisons in the state.
"The court should even monitor the security of Muslim prisoners accused in terror activities," he said.
The SP leader also said that he had met Qateel`s wife, who claimed that her husband had told her that he feared for his life in Yerawada jail. "This shows that he was aware that his life was in danger, yet nothing was done," Azmi said.
26-year-old Qateel, who was named in Bangalore stadium blast, Delhi Jama Masjid firing case and an abortive attempt to bomb a temple in Pune, was allegedly strangled to death inside the high security Yerawada Central Jail by inmates on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP