SP leader Farhan Azmi receives fresh extortion call
Mumbai: Politician and businessman Farhan
Azmi, has received another extortion call allegedly from
gangster Ravi Pujari, threatening him of dire consequences if
he fails to cough up money.
"I received a phone call yesterday from a person who
claimed to be Ravi Pujari. He was demanding money that he had
asked earlier. I politely turned down his demand. I will not
pay any protection money," Farhan said.
"I informed about the fresh threatening call to crime
branch officials," the son of Samajwadi Party leader Abu Azmi
Farhan, the husband of actor Ayesha Takia, said he
received an extortion call from a man claiming to be member of
Pujari gang three weeks ago. The caller had demanded Rs 10
crore from him as "protection money", after which Farhan
approached the Crime Branch.
Crime Branch officials said they were probing the case of
fresh threat received by Farhan and would provide security to
"Earlier this year also, I had lodged a complaint with
police stating that I had received a threatening call from a
man claiming to be associated with the underworld," Farhan
"I have been constantly receiving such calls over and
again but police so far have not provided any security to me,"
he alleged getting annoyed over such calls.
Farhan said he had written a letter to the Home
Department saying it would be responsible if any thing happens
to him and his family members.
In January, Farhan contested the by-election to Bhiwandi
East Assembly seat on Samajwadi party ticket and lost to Shiv
Sena candidate Rupesh Mhatre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls