SP leader Farhan Azmi receives fresh extortion call
Mumbai: Politician and businessman Farhan
Azmi, has received another extortion call allegedly from
gangster Ravi Pujari, threatening him of dire consequences if
he fails to cough up money.
"I received a phone call yesterday from a person who
claimed to be Ravi Pujari. He was demanding money that he had
asked earlier. I politely turned down his demand. I will not
pay any protection money," Farhan said.
"I informed about the fresh threatening call to crime
branch officials," the son of Samajwadi Party leader Abu Azmi
Farhan, the husband of actor Ayesha Takia, said he
received an extortion call from a man claiming to be member of
Pujari gang three weeks ago. The caller had demanded Rs 10
crore from him as "protection money", after which Farhan
approached the Crime Branch.
Crime Branch officials said they were probing the case of
fresh threat received by Farhan and would provide security to
"Earlier this year also, I had lodged a complaint with
police stating that I had received a threatening call from a
man claiming to be associated with the underworld," Farhan
"I have been constantly receiving such calls over and
again but police so far have not provided any security to me,"
he alleged getting annoyed over such calls.
Farhan said he had written a letter to the Home
Department saying it would be responsible if any thing happens
to him and his family members.
In January, Farhan contested the by-election to Bhiwandi
East Assembly seat on Samajwadi party ticket and lost to Shiv
Sena candidate Rupesh Mhatre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply