SP to contest 165 seats in Mumbai municipal polls
Mumbai: Samajwadi Party (SP) will contest
165 of the 227 seats in the ensuing elections for Mumbai
Municipal Corporation, state party president Abu Azmi said.
"We have decided to contest 165 seats. We will not
contest where our position is not strong," Azmi said.
Addressing a press conference here, he also said
that his party would field candidates with `clean image and
those who follow the party ideology`.
The elections are scheduled to be held on February 16.
Targeting Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj
Thackeray, Azmi alleged that when it comes to elections, the
MNS would field candidates even coming from north India.
"When they want to win elections, they come to north
Indians. However, after the purpose is served, they are
discarded," he criticised.
Azmi who is also an MLA said that he would be happy to
listen Raj addressing election campaigns in Hindi.
"Hindi is our national language and therefore I would
be happy to listen to him if he speaks in Hindi," he said.
Replying to a query whether Samajwadi Party would form
an alliance with Congress he said, "Officially, I did not
speak with the Congress leader."
On the alliance of Shiv Sena-BJP and Ramdas
Athawale-led RPI he said that it would affect RPI. "It would
be difficult for them to garner votes. Athawale cannot win
those seats in Mumbai which we had left for them during the
general elections in 2009."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today