Spanish woman identifies man who raped her
Mumbai: A Spanish woman who was raped and robbed at her rented flat here early this week, on Thursday identified her tormentor during a parade conducted inside the Arthur Road Jail, police said.
The victim, a musician, identified accused Mohammed Badsha Mohammed Ismail Ansari (30) as the one who robbed and sexually assaulted her after breaking into the flat in suburban Bandra in early hours of Monday, they said.
"As the victim has identified the accused, it would strengthen our case against him," a police official said.
Ansari, a history-sheeter, was arrested on Tuesday and yesterday produced before a magistrate court which remanded him in judicial custody for two days. He was subsequently sent to the high-security jail in south Mumbai.
As part of the parade conducted under the supervision of an executive magistrate, Ansari, along with a few others resembling him, was made to stand in line. The victim was called and asked to identify the culprit.
To this, the 27-year-old Spaniard pointed towards Ansari, claiming he had raped and robbed her, police said.
According to the police, the valuables stolen from the apartment, including cash, were yet to be recovered.
Instead of seeking his custody, which is the normal practice, police asked for judicial remand saying they wanted to conduct identification parade immediately as the victim had expressed desire to leave for her country at the earliest.
The police have also collected DNA samples of Ansari to match with DNA from material recovered from the victim`s house as part of their efforts to nail him. Items collected from the flat had been sent for forensic analysis.
Ansari, facing at least 20 criminal cases, has been booked under IPC Sections 452 (house trespass), 392 (robbery), 376 (rape), 377 (unnatural sex) and 506 (criminal intimidation).
Incidentally, Ansari had been arrested on October 27 for committing robbery at the residence of Bollywood actor Dino Morea. He was later granted bail in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death