Squads formed in 90 police stations for intelligence gathering
Mumbai: Learning lessons from the 26/11
terror attack, police has formed special squads in all the 90
police stations in the city to collect inputs in a bid to
strengthen its intelligence gathering.
This is for the first time that squads have been
formed for intelligence gathering at police station level.
A team of four -- Sub-Inspector and three constables
-- has been formed in every police station and assigned the
task of collecting information and updating Joint Commissioner
of Police (Law and Order), Rajnish Seth.
Seth, after getting such information, would in turn
brief the city Police Chief D Sivanandan.
"The idea of setting up such squads was to strengthen
the intelligence gathering. These cops would regularly collect
information and neutralise threat, besides doing other police
station related jobs as and when required," Sivanandan told
a news agency.
The city has 90 police stations which has been divided
into five zones. These squads would be consistently working on
cultivating their informants, gathering information and
updating their superiors.
This would help police in preventing any untoward
incident, the Police Commissioner said.
At present, crime branch and special branches are
involved in information gathering. However, following the
26/11 attack a need was felt to make stronger the network
of intelligence gathering and thus the idea emerged to form
squads in police stations, Sivanandan said.
Besides city police, State Intelligence Department and
Central agencies including Intelligence Bureau (IB) are
working at grassroot level to collect intelligence inputs.
Months after the Mumbai terror attacks, the city
police had also formed Quick Response Teams (QRT) to rescue
hostages and render assistance to Central forces and other
state forces in case of any untoward incident.
Following the attacks, police had also procured high
end weapons such AK-47s, MP9 Machine Gun, MP5 Machine Gun,
COLT M 4 guns, Armed troop carrier, bullet proof vehicles,
speed boats and Amphibious boats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown