Sr Customs officer`s wife goes missing with jewellery
Mumbai: The 50-year-old wife of a senior Customs officer, carrying jewellery worth around Rs 20 lakh with her, went missing from outside a bank in Nerul in neighbouring Navi Mumbai, police said today.
The victim Sandhya Singh is the wife of Customs and Central Excise Commissioner Jaiprakash Singh and sister of yesteryear actresses Sulakshana Pandit and Vijeta Pandit.
Sandhya`s brother Jatin and Lalit are noted music composers in Bollywood.
"A missing person`s complaint was registered on December 15 by her (Sandhya`s) husband Jaiprakash after their efforts to trace (her) at places of their relatives and friends failed", said Nerul police station Senior Inspector Rajkumar Chaphekar.
According to Jaiprakash, Sandhya had left their home at NRI Colony in Seawoods Darave on December 13 afternoon carrying jewellery worth about Rs 20 lakh to deposit in the locker of Abhyudaya Bank.
"While Sandhya was on her way, her friend Uma Gaur proposed to give her lift in car. Accordingly, Sandhya was dropped near the bank by Gaur and since then she has been missing," said Chaphekar.
There were no bank transactions and last location of her mobile phone was traced near the bank where she was dropped but later the phone was switched off, the officer said.
According to Jaiprakash, he was in Gwalior on December 14 when his son informed him that Sandhya has not returned home since the previous day. "Initially, we thought she must have gone to relatives` places but she was not found there", he added.
The senior Customs officer suspects that his wife might have fallen prey to a trap laid by somebody. He has also announced a reward of Rs 50,000 for information on whereabouts of Sandhya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list