ST bus driver runs amok in Pune, 9 killed
Pune: A state transport bus driver went berserk on the crowded streets of Pune on Wednesday morning killing at least 9 persons and injuring over 25 others.
The bus driver identified as 30-year-old Santosh Mane, in a fit of rage – reasons yet unknown - climbed into a state transport bus bearing registration number MH14 BT 1532 parked at the Swar Gate bus terminal and took it out into the streets without authorisation at around 8.30 am. Luckily, there were no passengers inside the bus.
As soon as he hit the open road he started to speed and hit all vehicles which came in his way. The police gave him a chase and in panic he swerved to the wrong side of busy Pune-Solapur road and continued to drive at high speed smashing vehicles and crushed pedestrians.
Mane’s murderous rampage continued for over one hour during which the out-of-control bus hit at least two dozen vehicles leading to the death of at least 9 persons, besides injuring close to 30 more people.
Mane was overpowered by the police near Neelayam theatre and taken away for questioning.
As per initial reports, Mane was mentally disturbed but police said it was too early to comment.
Pune Police Commissioner Meeran Borwankar later said that the cops had even opened fire at Mane in a bid to stop him from further damage. As per the city top cop the inured are undergoing treatment at Sasson, Sri Krishna, Sahyadri and Harjivan hospitals.
She further said that the reason behind Mane going berserk is not yet known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack