Stage set for by-poll to Bhiwandi East Assembly seat
Thane: The stage is set for a triangular
fight in the tomorrow`s by-election to Bhiwandi East Assembly
seat in Maharashtra.
SP candidate and legislator Abu Asim Azmi`s son Farhan,
Congress MLC Muzaffar Hussain and Shiv Sena`s Rupesh Mhatre
are the main contenders for the seat in the powerloom town in
the district adjoining Mumbai.
The seat was vacated by Azmi after he got elected from
two constituencies- Mankhurd (in Mumbai) and Bhiwandi East,
in the October Assembly elections.
The Assembly segment has a total of 2.22 lakh voters, who
will decide the electoral fate of 23 candidates.
SP leader Amar Singh, who recently resigned from all
party posts, campaigned for Farhan, a restaurateur. Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan canvassed for Hussain.
The electioneering in the constituency, dominated by
members of the minority community, came to a close last
The counting will be held on January 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead