Stage set for by-poll to Bhiwandi East Assembly seat
Thane: The stage is set for a triangular
fight in the tomorrow`s by-election to Bhiwandi East Assembly
seat in Maharashtra.
SP candidate and legislator Abu Asim Azmi`s son Farhan,
Congress MLC Muzaffar Hussain and Shiv Sena`s Rupesh Mhatre
are the main contenders for the seat in the powerloom town in
the district adjoining Mumbai.
The seat was vacated by Azmi after he got elected from
two constituencies- Mankhurd (in Mumbai) and Bhiwandi East,
in the October Assembly elections.
The Assembly segment has a total of 2.22 lakh voters, who
will decide the electoral fate of 23 candidates.
SP leader Amar Singh, who recently resigned from all
party posts, campaigned for Farhan, a restaurateur. Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan canvassed for Hussain.
The electioneering in the constituency, dominated by
members of the minority community, came to a close last
The counting will be held on January 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?