Stage set for by-poll to Bhiwandi East Assembly seat
Thane: The stage is set for a triangular
fight in the tomorrow`s by-election to Bhiwandi East Assembly
seat in Maharashtra.
SP candidate and legislator Abu Asim Azmi`s son Farhan,
Congress MLC Muzaffar Hussain and Shiv Sena`s Rupesh Mhatre
are the main contenders for the seat in the powerloom town in
the district adjoining Mumbai.
The seat was vacated by Azmi after he got elected from
two constituencies- Mankhurd (in Mumbai) and Bhiwandi East,
in the October Assembly elections.
The Assembly segment has a total of 2.22 lakh voters, who
will decide the electoral fate of 23 candidates.
SP leader Amar Singh, who recently resigned from all
party posts, campaigned for Farhan, a restaurateur. Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan canvassed for Hussain.
The electioneering in the constituency, dominated by
members of the minority community, came to a close last
The counting will be held on January 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'