`Step up implementation of PCPNDT Act`
Mumbai: The Centre has asked Maharashtra government to effectively step up implementation of the Pre Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex selection) Act, 1994 to curb sex determination and sex selective abortions.
In a letter to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad stressed the need to step up implementation of the Act since skewed child sex ration would lead to serious population imbalances and socio-cultural problems in the country.
According to him, regulatory framework is in place but most states have not been able to effectively enforce existing laws.
"Medical technology and misuse of sex determination has become rampant across both rural and urban population," he observed.
The Union Minister urged Chavan to review the situation personally and entrust the responsibility of regularly reviewing progress to the chief secretary.
As per the 2011 provisional data, child sex ratio has witnessed a decline from 927 to 914 female births against that of boys. In case of Maharashtra, the decline is of 30 points
from 913 to 883.
"This is a matter of grave concern," Azad pointed out.
Meanwhile, state Health Minister Suresh Shetty will review the situation in Beed district having the lowest child sex ratio in the state at 801 girls as against 1000 boys.
Shetty said a meeting of district collectors, divisional commissioners, civil surgeons, medical officers of the civic bodies from all the eight districts in Marathwada region will take place on June 24 to discuss the present situation in the region and how effective implementation of existing laws can be taken to stop female infanticide.
Beed district was in the news recently for recovery of aborted female foetuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections