`Step up implementation of PCPNDT Act`
Mumbai: The Centre has asked Maharashtra government to effectively step up implementation of the Pre Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex selection) Act, 1994 to curb sex determination and sex selective abortions.
In a letter to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad stressed the need to step up implementation of the Act since skewed child sex ration would lead to serious population imbalances and socio-cultural problems in the country.
According to him, regulatory framework is in place but most states have not been able to effectively enforce existing laws.
"Medical technology and misuse of sex determination has become rampant across both rural and urban population," he observed.
The Union Minister urged Chavan to review the situation personally and entrust the responsibility of regularly reviewing progress to the chief secretary.
As per the 2011 provisional data, child sex ratio has witnessed a decline from 927 to 914 female births against that of boys. In case of Maharashtra, the decline is of 30 points
from 913 to 883.
"This is a matter of grave concern," Azad pointed out.
Meanwhile, state Health Minister Suresh Shetty will review the situation in Beed district having the lowest child sex ratio in the state at 801 girls as against 1000 boys.
Shetty said a meeting of district collectors, divisional commissioners, civil surgeons, medical officers of the civic bodies from all the eight districts in Marathwada region will take place on June 24 to discuss the present situation in the region and how effective implementation of existing laws can be taken to stop female infanticide.
Beed district was in the news recently for recovery of aborted female foetuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic