Strong, pragmatic steps needed to improve Cong: AICC member
Mumbai: Congress President Sonia Gandhi should take "strong but pragmatic steps" to improve the party structure to fulfil its commitments to the people, according to AICC member from Mumbai, Rajiv Chavan.
Expressing surprise at some suggestions being made at the `Chintan Shivir` at Jaipur, such as reserving 30 per cent of party posts for leaders below the age of 45, so as to garner country?s youth power, Chavan said merely inducting all those below the age of 45, is not necessarily going to connect the party with the youth.
"Why only 30 per cent, why not 50 per cent," Chavan said, adding that those who are suggesting such measures are actually skirting the main issues related to the problems of youth, their aspirations and expectations because they are totally disconnected from the youth.
The party should fight communalism in a systematic manner by shunning the communal forces and by not having any truck with them at any cost, Chavan, who is attending the party conclave, said in a statement. The `Jaipur Declaration` must contain a resolve to wage a war on communalism, he said.
He welcomed Rahul Gandhi`s observation that merit needs to be rewarded in the party. "Party leaders holding important posts must be held accountable for their performance," Chavan said. The time has come to "conduct an audit" of performance of leaders, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea