Sugarcane agitation: Sharad Pawar meets Maha CM
Mumbai: Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Thursday met Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan here in the backdrop of protests by sugarcane farmers demanding a
higher price for their produce.
The duo huddled together for nearly 20 minutes at the Sahyadri Guest House at around 9.30 am, sources said.
According to the sources, the closed-door meeting assumes significance on account of ongoing demonstrations by farmers from Pawar`s home town of Baramati, in Pune district,
demanding higher rates for their sugarcane produce.
The agitations are being spearheaded by Swabhimani
Shetkari Sanghatna MP Raju Shetty.
The meeting triggered speculation over continuation of the alliance between the Congress and NCP in the forthcoming municipal council elections.
The civic polls to 27 Zilla Parishads, 196 municipal councils, 305 Panchayat Samitis and 10 municipal corporations are to be held in December and early next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan