Support to Mamata only for coming LS elections: Anna Hazare
Mumbai: Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday said his support to the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was only for coming Lok Sabha elections.
"My support will be only till the next elections," Hazare said in a statement issued from his native place, Ralegan Siddhi in Maharashtra`s Ahmednagar district.
"Mamata Banerjee has fought for the society and has faced physical assaults in national interest and I feel such people should lead the country.
"That is the reason I have extended my support to Banerjee. However, this support will be only till the coming polls," he said.
"I have not supported Mamata Banerjee the person or the party but I liked her social and national perspective," he said.
"I have extended my support to Mamata Banerjee as she thinks and works only for society and country. She is a CM and can lead a life full of luxury but she leads a simple life," Hazare said, justifying his support to the TMC chief.
"I support the spirit of sacrifice that I see in Mamata Banerjee.
"She is the only leader who responded to my letter seeking support on 17 issues for good governance," he noted.
"I had sent the letter to (AAP leader and Hazare`s former lieutenant) Arvind Kejriwal too and told him that I am willing to support you just as I supported Mamata but he hasn`t replied," Hazare said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla