Supreme Court tells Campa Cola residents to move out by May 31, 2014
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered that residents of unauthorised flats in Campa Cola compound in Mumbai will have to vacate their premises by May 31, 2014.
The SC asked occupants of illegally constructed flats to give an undertaking within six weeks to vacate their houses.
Attorney General GE Vahanvati told the apex court that no specific proposal could be worked out for enabling new construction in the compound.
Vahanvati had earlier indicated that the present flats to the extent they are unauthorised will be demolished and in the vacant land new flats will be constructed for the affected residents.
“If no undertaking is given within the specified period, the civic body (BMC) will be entitled to take action in accordance with the February 27 order,” the SC bench said.
The apex court had last week suspended the demolition of 96 flats of the Campa Cola housing complex till further orders.
The SC bench of Justice GS Singhvi and Justice C Nagappan suspended the demolition of 96 flats which were to be pulled down last Wednesday by the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on an earlier apex court order.
The apex court earlier this year had said that these flats have to be pulled down because of violation by the builders. These flats were constructed three decades ago.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?