Supriya Sule says won`t contest Assembly polls in Maharashtra
Nagpur: NCP leader and MP Supriya Sule on Saturday said she would not be contesting Assembly polls in Maharashtra and will be seeking re-election from her Parliamentary constituency.
"There is no vacancy in the state," she told reporters when asked if she plans to contest Assembly polls, due next year, in Maharashtra.
The daughter of Union Minister and NCP President Sharad Pawar said she will seek re-election from Baramati Lok Sabha constituency in Western Maharashtra.
Earlier, addressing a large gathering at a women`s convention here, the NCP youth leader demanded 33 per cent reservation in seats for women in the state Assemblies and Lok Sabha.
Sule called for formulating a new policy for women in Maharashtra, where her party is in power in alliance with Congress, in view of changes at work places and also at the social front.
Sule is touring Maharashtra to mobilise women on various issues.
State ministers Fauzia Khan, Anil Deshmukh and NCP leaders like Madhukar Pichad, Vidya Chavan and Surekha Thakre, among others were present at the convention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH