Suresh Dekhmukh files nomination for Council elect
Mumbai: Sitting Congress MLC Suresh Deshmukh, who filed his nomination from Parbhani local bodies constituency for the biennial Legislative Council elections to be held on May 25, today said he had not rebelled against the party.
"I am a two-time sitting MLC from the constituency and the decision to swap the seat with the NCP was taken without consultation," Deshmukh said.
He said he had not filed his nomination as an Independent. "Why can`t there be a friendly fight between the Congress and NCP," he asked.
Deshmukh said he will meet Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC president Manikrao Thakre after their return from Delhi.
On whether he was firm on contesting, Deshmukh said he would abide by whatever party leaders asked him to do.
The last date of withdrawal of nomination papers is May 10.
Meanwhile, Rajendra Chavan, a close aide of Congress MLA Manikrao Kokate, a supporter of Industries Minister Narayan Rane has filed his nomination in Nashik local bodies where NCP`s Jayant Jadhav is contesting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley