Suspected IM member granted bail
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has granted bail to Mohammed Ateeq, one of the 23 accused arrested by Mumbai Crime Branch on charges of sending threat e-mails to a TV news channel claiming responsibility for the 2008 Ahmedabad blasts.
The bail was granted yesterday by Justice A M Thipsay on the ground that the accused was in custody since last four years and the trial had not yet commenced.
Ateeq has been asked to furnish bail of Rs 50,000 and to attend the crime branch office on every date of the trial court hearing.
According to prosecution, Ateeq is a member of Indian Mujahideen, which is a terrorist organisation under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and an organised crime syndicate under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act.
The prosecution further alleged that being a member of IM, he attended certain meetings with the co-accused where they discussed about jihad.
Further, after the Ahmedabad blasts, Ateeq attended a celebratory dinner organised by a co-accused. Also, 31 timers were recovered from him.
Ateeq`s lawyer Mubin Solkar said IM was notified as a terrorist organisation on June 4, 2010 and even assuming the prosecution`s case as it is, the celebratory dinner and the alleged meetings had taken place in 2007 and 2008 when IM was not declared a terrorist organisation.
Solkar said it is not the prosecution`s case that Ateeq associated with the other co-accused as a member even after IM was notified as a terrorist organisation.
"This could never have been the case because Ateeq is in custody since October 4, 2008," he said.
Solkar argued that timers were ordinary alarm clocks easily available in the market and possessing them does not constitute any offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM