Suspected ISI spy gets seven years in jail
Mumbai: A sessions court on Monday convicted a man, arrested and booked under the Official Secrets Act for spying for Pakistan`s ISI, and sentenced him to seven years of imprisonment.
Police had arrested South Mumbai resident Javed Mozawala on December 8, 2011 on the suspicion of spying for the Pakistani intelligence agency after they seized vital documents of national importance and a few certificates in civil aviation from his residence in Byculla.
Police also recovered a manual of communication and tactics meant for Islamic terror organisations and groups, some telephone numbers and photographs of vital defence installations, besides many passports of Indian nationals who wanted to visit Pakistan.
According to prosecution, Mozawala used to procure visas for people who wished to visit Pakistan and was working under direction of two senior officials attached to the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi.
Special Public Prosecutor Prakash Shetty told the court that Mozawala was found with several objectionable materials which were part of the official secret communications.
Shetty argued that besides other materials, an ISI book on conducting secret activities was found from the accused.
Photographs recovered from Mozawala were of some defence facilities, Tata power house, Bandra-Worli Sealink among others, according to prosecution which examined 24 witnesses, including experts who confirmed that photographs and literature recovered from Mozawala were part of the confidential internal communications.
Meanwhile, Mozawala fainted when the court was about to pronounce the judgement. Later, his mother told the court that her son was being falsely implicated.
"He has two daughters and there is nobody to take care of them," she told the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery