`Suspended MNS MLAs eligible to vote in council, RS polls`
Mumbai: Four suspended legislators of the
Maharashtra Navnirman Sena are eligible for voting in the next
month`s biennial elections to the Legislative council and the
Rajya Sabha, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshvardhan Patil
Even though the four MNS MLAs have been placed under
suspension and barred from entering the Vidhan Bhavan premises
and participating in the legislative business, voting is their
constitutional right, Patil said.
"They cannot be barred from exercising their
constitutional right," he said.
He said a meeting of Business Advisory Committee (BAC)
will have to be convened to take a decision on allowing the
four MLAs to enter the Vidhan Bhavan for the voting purpose.
On the Opposition`s demand to revoke the suspension,
Patil said, "A motion to this effect will have to be brought
in the House and passed by a majority voice vote. Any decision
on this would have to be taken during the Monsoon Session
The four MLAs -- Shishir Shinde, Ram Kadam, Ramesh
Wanzale and Vasant Gite, were suspended for four years when
they physically assaulted Samajwadi Party MLA Abu Asim Azmi
for taking oath in Hindi and misbehaved with a woman
legislator who tried to intervene.
During the budget session which concluded last month, MNS
had urged the government to revoke the suspension saying their
party`s group leader Bala Nandgaonkar had already expressed
regret over the incident. BJP had supported MNS`s demand.
MNS has 13 MLAs in the Lower House, which is the largest
block of non Sena-BJP and non-Congress NCP legislators.
The electoral college for the next month`s election to
the Rajya Sabha and the Legislative Council has 288 members of
the Legislative Assembly.
The quota for first preference votes for Legislative
Council is 27, while that for Rajya Sabha it is 42.
The election to the Legislative Council and the Rajya
Sabha will be held on June 10 and June 17 respectively.
There is one vacancy of a nominated member, who can vote
for the Legislative Council elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot