Suspended tehsildar surrenders, sent to judicial custody
Thane (Maha): Suspended tehsildar of Karjat in Raigad district today surrendered before the ACB officials and was sent to two days judicial custody by a special court in Alibagh.
Raigad unit of Anti-Corruption Bureau had in June this year registered a case of disproportionate assets against tehsildar Yuvraj K Bangar, who is currently under suspension, and has been ever since evading arrest.
Bangar had approached the Alibagh district court for bail, which was rejected and later filed a bail plea at the Bombay High Court. High Court also rejected the bail yesterday, following which he surrendered before the ACB today, Superintendent of Police ACB Thane Srinivas Ghatge said.
Earlier, last year in October Bangar was trapped by ACB sleuths while accepting a bribe of Rs 5 lakh from a quarry owner, Ghatge said, adding, cash Rs 3.50 lakh, 1.50 kgs gold was also recovered from his residence.
Papers related to purchase of flat, car and a fixed deposit of Rs 20 lakhs on the name of his daughter, was also found. After investigation, disproportionate wealth of Rs 58.28
lakhs was found, he said.
An offence was registered with the Karjat police station against Bangar under relevant sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Nation bids tearful adieu to APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!