Swine Flu claims its fifth victim in Pune
Pune: Swine Flu claimed its fifth victim in
the last six days following the death of a 60-year-old man in
a city hospital, civic health officials said on Tuesday.
The victim, one Balasaheb Paigude, who died last night,
was being treated in the isolation ward of the hospital for
the last three days after being tested positive for H1N1 virus
which has claimed fatalities in the city after a year`s gap.
Two more patients are reported to be in a serious
condition needing ventilator support.
A 48-year-old woman had succumbed to the virus on March
14 in the first fatal case of the virus in the city since
April 2011. About 40 persons were being treated for the
infection currently after an apparent revival of the virus due
to climate fluctuations and extended winter, officials said.
"The virus and its transmission rate can subside once the
summer temperatures go up," an official said adding that
surveillance measures and scanning for suspected cases has
been stepped up by the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader