TADA court orders Abu Salem`s transfer back to Taloja jail
Mumbai: A designated TADA court on Tuesday directed the prisons department to transfer extradited gangster Abu Salem back to Taloja jail in Navi Mumbai from Thane jail where he has been lodged since November last year.
"The special court has directed the prisons department to transfer Salem back to Taloja jail by February 2," Salem`s counsel Sabha Qureshi told reporters.
Salem had in July 2013 moved an application before the special court seeking directions to the jail authorities that he should either be moved to Embassy of Portugal in Goa/Delhi or to Taloja jail.
"The applicant (Salem) may be transferred to Portugal Embassy till the final decision is reached on the issue of his repatriation to Portugal post termination of Extradition Order in the interest of justice," Salem had said in his application.
In the application, Salem had also said he felt unsafe in jails other than Taloja jail.
Salem had said he should not be transferred to any other jail in the interest of justice since the risk to his life is higher in other jails.
The gangster had made several applications stating that he faces death threats in other jails from 1993 bomb blasts accused Mustafa Dossa, fugitive don Chhota Shakeel etc and fears elimination at the hands of the dreaded gangs if transferred to any other jail.
"Though (Salem) was attacked in the Taloja jail, the security is beefed up there now hence there are little chances of any further attacks on his life whereas the chances (of attack) are high in other jails," the application had said.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005 after a prolonged legal battle.
Salem was injured in hand after he was allegedly shot at by gangster Devendra Jagtap, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi who had represented an accused in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case, in Taloja Central Jail on June 27, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest