Tahalayani concerned over pending anticipatory bail pleas
Mumbai: Over 400 anticipatory bail pleas that have been gathering dust since last year in the sessions court have worried Principal Judge M L Tahalayani, who took charge after conducting trial in the 26/11 terror attack case.
According to court officials, when Judge Tahalayani took over as the principal judge in June this year there were 450 bail pleas pending.
"The disposal rates have now improved by at least 70 per cent. Of the 450 pleas, now only 104 cases are pending as of July end," the officials said.
Since August 1, the court has already received 73 fresh anticipatory bail pleas.
"Earlier Principal Judges used to assign anticipatory bail cases to different courts on rotation basis. So even before the case could be heard and disposed off it would be
shifted to a new court," a court official said.
Judge Tahalayani, recently observed in an open court, "Anticipatory bail pleas as old as early 2009 are still pending and they need to be disposed off immediately."
A person seeks anticipatory bail fearing arrest in a case registered against him by the police.
"Usually an accused is granted interim bail until his anticipatory bail plea is decided. This causes unnecessary delay which also hampers investigation," public prosecutor R V
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader