Teachers` strike: Chavan warns of strict action
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Monday asked the striking teachers not to hold the government and students to ransom, and warned of a stern action.
University examinations have been affected due to the ongoing strike, which is in its third month now.
Chavan told reporters here that government had agreed to pay the arrears of Rs 1,500 crore as per the Sixth Pay Commission in three phases. But later, on the insistence of the unions, it decided to give the entire amount at once through contingency fund advance.
"But, despite assurances from the government including from me directly, the teachers` unions have been making new demands. Minimum qualification for recruitment of teachers is M Phil, PhD and NET/SET. Those who were hired in the 90s without these qualifications were to take these examinations within three years of recruitment. Some have cleared the exams and some have not or do not wish to. They demand facilities on par with those who are qualified. The government has rejected these demands," Chavan said.
Non-NET/SET teachers who do not have the minimum qualification will not be sacked, but won`t get the same perks, he said.
"I am told that examinations have been conducted but there could be problems in checking of papers. They should not hold the government and the students to ransom. If necessary, strict action will be initiated," he said.
The demands of unions include regularisation of service of the NET/SET qualified teachers and the payment of pending sixth pay commission arrears.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in