Tearful adieu to Lord Ganesh in Nashik
Nashik: Thousands of citizens on Sunday bode
a tearful adieu to Lord Ganesh as the eleven-day festival
culminated with fanfare.
Amid chants, drum beats and devotional fervour,
hundreds of idols were immersed at 27 different locations
dotting the Godavari river.
The main procession began from Wakadi Barav locality
of the Old City where city Mayor Naina Gholap-Walzade along
with the Nashik Municipal Corporation (NMC) Commissioner B D
Sanap, MPs, MLAs and other prominent citizens broke a coconut
in front of the NMC`s Ganesh idol at 1400 hours today.
Heavy security arrangements were in place at the
immersion procession passed through sensitive areas in various
parts of the city.
Besides small domestic idols, about 300 idols of
different Ganesh Mandals joined the main procession which will
culminate at river Godavari by late night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre