Tearful adieu to Lord Ganesh in Nashik
Nashik: Thousands of citizens on Sunday bode
a tearful adieu to Lord Ganesh as the eleven-day festival
culminated with fanfare.
Amid chants, drum beats and devotional fervour,
hundreds of idols were immersed at 27 different locations
dotting the Godavari river.
The main procession began from Wakadi Barav locality
of the Old City where city Mayor Naina Gholap-Walzade along
with the Nashik Municipal Corporation (NMC) Commissioner B D
Sanap, MPs, MLAs and other prominent citizens broke a coconut
in front of the NMC`s Ganesh idol at 1400 hours today.
Heavy security arrangements were in place at the
immersion procession passed through sensitive areas in various
parts of the city.
Besides small domestic idols, about 300 idols of
different Ganesh Mandals joined the main procession which will
culminate at river Godavari by late night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Xioami Redmi Note 4 launched, comes with 10-core processor, 4,100 mAh battery
- Michel Platini at sports court for Sepp Blatter appeal
- LIVE streaming: Krishna Janmashtami 2016 celebrations straight from ISKON Delhi – Watch here
- Temples lit up for Janmashtami celebrations in Madhya Pradesh
- OP Jaisha-AFI row: Marathon runner said no to personalised refreshment, clarifies coach Nikolai Snesarev