Techie, set to shoot his ex-girlfriend, nabbed by police
Mumbai: A software engineer was nabbed by the police in suburban Malad today as he was allegedly about to ambush and gun down his former girlfriend, who had accused him of rape.
Police claimed to have prevented the attack by arresting Amit Jain (31) in Marve Road area.
Jain, arrested by the suburban Goregaon police on the charge of raping his girlfriend in 2012 and later released on bail, was seeking to take revenge, police said.
According to the police, he was set to ambush the victim and her father, but was nabbed before that.
He pointed a pistol at the waiting policemen who managed to overpower him and seize two country-made pistols, four magazines and 20 rounds, procured from Madhya Pradesh.
Jain wanted to kill the girl, who is related to him, as he blamed her for wrecking his life by filing the rape complaint, said Additional Police Commissioner Brijesh Singh.
"Jain was subsequently arrested in the rape case and was lodged in jail from September 2012 to January 2013. Later, he was granted bail," Singh said.
An employee with a multinational company, Jain had an affair with the victim and had promised to marry her. However, their relations soured, following which she split up with him and lodged an FIR for rape in 2012.
Jain, a management graduate from Madhya Pradesh, lost his job after the complaint was filed, and was nursing a strong hatred against the victim and her family, police said.
"He had threatened the victim on several occasions, so her family shifted the house. However, he managed to find out their (new) house and procured firearms by paying over Rs 90,000. He was waiting for the victim and her father to arrive in Malad so that he can shoot them in public," Singh said.
"We had a tip-off about his plan and laid a trap. Jain was intercepted when he pointed the pistol at the cops. Our men overpowered him and seized the weapons."
The accused had vowed to avenge himself by murdering the girl and her family, Singh claimed. Malvani police are conducting further probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Security in Kashmir reviewed following Pampore attack; Amarnath Yatra to begin soon
- Southwest monsoon progresses in Gujarat
- Subramanian Swamy's lecture on 'Emergency' cancelled
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch