Teenage maid at diamond merchant`s house found dead
Mumbai: A 19-year-old girl, working as a domestic help at a diamond merchant`s house here, was found dead, in what police suspect to be a case of suicide, a suggestion rejected by her family.
The body of Chandra Pawar was found past midnight yesterday on the ground floor of the posh residential building in South Mumbai`s Cuffe Parade area where her employer Ramesh Balchandani resides, police said today.
While mystery shrouds Pawar`s death, investigators, who examined the spot, indicated it could be a case of suicide. She might have jumped off the 23rd floor apartment, where she worked, they said.
According to police, a taxi driver, who had parked his vehicle outside the building`s gate, spotted her lying inside the residential premises around 12.30 AM and informed police.
Pawar was rushed to nearby GT Hospital where she was declared dead before admission.
The girl, who stayed in Ambedkar Nagar in Cuffe Parade, was employed one-and-a-half years ago to work round- the-clock in Balchandani`s house, police said.
Pawar`s family, however, rejected the suicide theory and alleged foul play.
"Her family stated she planned to work till November end and then leave the job. There were no reason for her to commit suicide and she might have been murdered," they said, quoting the maid`s kin.
Police have registered a case of accidental death and are probing all the angles, including murder and abetment to suicide.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket