Telephone operator gang-rape case: Fifth accused held
The fifth and last accused in the July 31 telephone operator gang-rape case was on Saturday arrested from the city, police said.
Mumbai: The fifth and last accused in the July 31 telephone operator gang-rape case was on Saturday arrested from the city, police said.
"Acting on a tip-off, a trap was laid at Girgaon Chowpatty and the accused, Mohammed Ashfaque Sheikh, was arrested," a crime branch officer said.
The 18-year-old telephone operator was allegedly gangraped at the deserted Shakti Mills compound in Mahalaxmi on July 31 by five men, three of who were also involved in the August 22 photojournalist gangrape case, the police said.
The three accused involved in both the cases are Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Qasim alias `Qasim Bangali`, who are currently in jail.
The fourth accused, who is a minor, has already been arrested in this (July 31) case and lodged in juvenile remand home in south Mumbai`s Dongri area.
On the evening of August 22, a photojournalist was sexually assaulted at the Shakti Mills compound, when she had gone there on an assignment with her male colleague. The police nabbed all five accused in the case within three days.
On September 3, another gang-rape surfaced, after the 18-year-old complained to the police that she too had been gangraped by a group of five on the mill premises on July 31.