Ten workers die in wall collapse in Thane
Thane: Ten workers were buried alive when
the protection wall at a construction site here collapsed due
to heavy rains this afternoon, police said.
So far 10 bodies have been pulled out from the site in
Mira Bhayander, a suburb of Mumbai, and two injured have been
admitted to a local hospital, they said, adding some people
are still feared to have been trapped in the debris.
All the deceased are construction workers. A relief
and rescue operation has been launched by the Fire Brigade and
police with the help of locals, they said.
Fire Brigade sources said they received a call around
2.30 am about the incident and five fire engines were rushed
to the scene.
The workers had put up transit huts at the site and
were taking rest when the protection wall fell on them.
It was not immediately known how many labourers were
present at the construction spot, being developed by Rizvi
Builders, they said.
The district has been receiving heavy rainfall since
the morning, flooding low-lying areas and disrupting traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future