Ten workers die in wall collapse in Thane
Thane: Ten workers were buried alive when
the protection wall at a construction site here collapsed due
to heavy rains this afternoon, police said.
So far 10 bodies have been pulled out from the site in
Mira Bhayander, a suburb of Mumbai, and two injured have been
admitted to a local hospital, they said, adding some people
are still feared to have been trapped in the debris.
All the deceased are construction workers. A relief
and rescue operation has been launched by the Fire Brigade and
police with the help of locals, they said.
Fire Brigade sources said they received a call around
2.30 am about the incident and five fire engines were rushed
to the scene.
The workers had put up transit huts at the site and
were taking rest when the protection wall fell on them.
It was not immediately known how many labourers were
present at the construction spot, being developed by Rizvi
Builders, they said.
The district has been receiving heavy rainfall since
the morning, flooding low-lying areas and disrupting traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof