Ten years prison to Telgi in stamp paper scam case
Pune/Mumbai: A special court in Pune
on Monday sentenced kingpin in the multi-crore fake stamp paper scam, Abdul Karim Telgi to 10 years imprisonment in one of the
many cases filed against him.
The sentence will have to be served by Telgi
consecutively, after he serves the earlier sentences.
"Telgi will have to be in jail for 10 more years,"
Special CBI prosecutor Pradeep Gharat said.
50-year-old Telgi is currently serving jail term in
The case pertains to the arrest of two persons Rajgad
Jaiswal and Avdesh Tiwari from SR Travels in suburban Mulund,
who were allegedly selling fake stamps using the name of an
authorised stamp vendor Kanchan Bhongale.
Bhongale had reported to the General Stamps office and
a case was registered at the Mulund police station in 2001.
Fake stamps worth about Rs 25 lakh were seized from the duo.
Ten persons were named as accused in the case
including Telgi. While Telgi pleaded guilty, four persons
including a police officer did not plead guilty and will face
trial. A police officer Liladhar Nemade died and the case
against him was abated, Gharat said, adding that two accused
are absconding and the remaining two have been discharged.
The stamps were sold to various banks and builders.
"Telgi was sentenced 10 years under various sections
of IPC, and five years under Maharashtra Control of Organised
Crime Act.... These sentences would be concurrently served.
The court has also fined him Rs 17 lakh," Gharat said.
Telgi has been found guilty in several cases related
to fake stamp paper scam spread across several states. The
scam came to light in 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH