Tension in Mumbai’s Sewree after clash between two groups; 36 arrested
Mumbai: A heated argument over petty issues
between two groups led to clashes between them, resulting in a
riot like situation in a sensitive Sewree area in central
Mumbai following which 36 persons have been arrested for
rioting and injuring cops, police said on Wednesday.
According to them, a group of boys had passed some
comments on another group of boys on Sunday night following
which they had a fight.
Last night, a teenager was walking on the road when some
boys pushed him after which he complained to his parents,
Following both these incidents, two groups -- each
containing at least 30 persons -- clashed last night and
pelted stones and bottles at each other, resulting in tension
on Sewree road.
Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik reached the spot
to bring the situation under control by 2.00 am.
A few policemen were injured and some public and private
vehicles were damaged during the clashes, police said adding
that at least 36 persons have been arrested so far.
The accused were booked under the charges of rioting,
assault or criminal force to deter public servant from
discharge of his duty and causing hurt to deter public servant
from his duty at the RAK Marg Police Station, police said
adding further probe is on.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged