Thackeray backs Advani on comments about UPA govt
Mumbai: Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, who had criticised senior BJP leader LK Advani for his controversial blog, on Saturday supported him on the `illegitimate` UPA government comment.
"In democracy, some words may have been termed unparliamentary and Advani had to swallow them, but the truth won`t be suppressed because of that," Thackeray said in an editorial in party mouthpiece, `Saamana`.
"It may have been a slip of tongue but the bitter Truth came out of Advani`s mouth," Thackeray said. It is not as if there was a need (for Advani) to swallow those words later, he added.
Thackeray lauded Advani`s speech on the Assam issue, saying illegal immigration was encouraged by the Congress for vote-bank politics and is to blame for the violence in that state.
The UPA-II government was illegitimate, Thackeray said, adding it was using the CBI illegally.
Earlier this week, in hard-hitting comments, Thackeray asserted that Advani`s musings on the outcome of the 2014 polls in his blog was "demoralising" for opposition NDA and likened the assessment to an Army General saying before a war that there is no guarantee on the outcome.
"This is like a General saying before a war that there is no guarantee on the outcome and demoralising the entire Army," Thackeray had said in `Saamana`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights