Thackeray FB post row: 9 held for vandalism
Mumbai: Maharashtra police on Tuesday arrested nine people from Palghar for allegedly vandalising the clinic of a man who is the uncle of the girl arrested for her Facebook post that questioned the bandh in Mumbai following Shiv Sena leader Bal Thackeray`s death.
However, it is still unclear if those arrested by the police are the local Shiv Sainiks.
The arrest comes a day after a mob of Shiv Sainiks, irked with the girl`s anti-Bal Thackeray Facebook post, allegedly vandalised a hospital owned by her uncle in Palghar and later lodged a complaint with the local police.
Acting on the complaint, the police later arrested the girl and her close friend from nearby Thane district for posting an offensive comment on Facebook.
21-year-old Shaheen Dhada was arrested for Facebook status update which reportedly read- ‘People like Thackeray are born and die daily and one should not observe a bandh for that.’
Her friend, indentified as one Renu, who ‘liked’ her comment was also arrested.
The duo was reportedly booked under Section 295 (a) of the IPC (for hurting religious sentiments) and Section 64 (a) of the Information Technology Act, 2000.
However, within hours of the arrest, both of them were released on bail of Rs 15,000 each.
Importantly, the girl had withdrawn the comment and apologised before the attacks took place.
Taking note of the incident, Justice Markandey Katju wrote a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan in which he termed the arrest as absurd and demanded immediate action against guilty officers.
Mumbai police also faced flak from Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal, who said that the case might have been mishandled by the Maharashtra police and that the government could step in to save the situation.
"The Maharashtra police mishandled the law, it`s illegal to arrest people like this," Sibal was quoted as telling a TV news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what