Thackeray memorial near Mayor`s house? Pawar visits site
Mumbai: The area near the Mayor`s bungalow could be the site of the memorial of late Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray, with NCP chief Sharad Pawar visiting the site on Monday.
The site for the late leader`s memorial has become a vexed issue, with a section of Shiv Sena cadre demanding that it should be built on Shivaji Park ground, where Thackeray addressed rallies every year since the birth of Sena, and where he was cremated last November.
The Mayor`s bungalow is situated in Dadar, central Mumbai, near the Park. Pawar, an old friend of Thackeray`s despite being poles apart ideologically, has taken the lead in resolving the issue. He visited the bungalow and nearby land.
Shiv Sena MP and spokesperson Sanjay Raut told PTI that Pawar had a discussion on the issue with Sena president Uddhav Thackeray when he visited Shivaji Park to pay a tribute on the first anniversary of Bal Thackeray`s demise.
"Pawar spoke with Uddhav. The Sena president said it will not be appropriate for him (Uddhav himself) to take the initiative on the issue of memorial," Raut said.
"Pawar said he will take up the issue. A delegation of Sena leaders also met Pawar at his residence earlier today. Pawar said an all-party meeting will also be held on the issue," Raut said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?