Thackeray under fire over `U-turn` on varsity renaming
Mumbai: Two days after he lambasted political opponents for insinuating that he opposed renaming of Marathwada University after Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar, Shiv
Sena chief Bal Thackeray is now in middle of a contorversy, with a section of media terming it as his `U-turn`.
"From 1994 to 2011, Thackeray has done a 180-degree turn on the renaming issue," leading Marathi newspaper Loksatta claimed in its lead story today.
Marathi channel Star Majhaa aired a special programme last night, highlighting the change of stance, apparently with an eye on Dalit votes, in backdrop of his cosying up with new-found ally, Dalit leader Ramdas Athawale.
"At a public meeting in Parbhani on February 21, 1994, Thackeray said he will continue to oppose the varsity renaming till he is alive," the newspaper said.
"Thackeray also said that Dalits were paying obeisance at the university gate, thinking it was the Chaityabhoomi," it said. Chaityabhoomi, in Dadar area, is where Ambedkar was cremated and lakhs of his followers visit the memorial on his
anniversary each year.
Rubbishing critics who questioned the contradiction of his alliance with Athawale, whose party RPI has a large Dalit following in the state, and also his old stance against the renaming, Thackeray had said on May 16: "Let me make it clear
once again. I never opposed renaming of the university. I had suggested that the name Marathwada University be retained and Ambedkar`s name be added to it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- IND vs NZ: New-age Team India announce Kiwi-series fixtures in unique style
- EPFO aims to cover all workers under PF, pension by 2030
- Lionel Messi `God`s gift` to Argentina: President
- Human sex hormone has its evolutionary evidence in Starfish!
- National Ranking to have separate parameters for IISERs: Smriti Irani