Thackeray`s death big loss for BJP: Venkaiah Naidu
Bangalore: BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu on Sunday said Bal Thackeray`s death was a big loss for the party as the Shiv Sena has been a trusted ally for long.
"Balasaheb`s death is a big loss for the BJP as Shiv Sena has been a trusted ally since long," he told reporters here.
He recalled that Thackeray did not aspire to become Chief Minister even after the Shiva Sena-BJP alliance formed a coalition government in Maharashtra. "He confined himself to Maharashtra. His demise is a big loss for the state and India," he added.
Naidu said Thackeray was an outspoken, forthright and uncompromising fighter all his life and never hankered after power. "You find very few examples such as Thackeray`s calibre in the political history of the country," he added.
He said he met the ailing Thackeray at Leelavati Hospital and was told he would recover. "But he is no more and I only pray that his soul rest in peace."
On the possible fallout of former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa quitting BJP, Naidu said it was his choice if he wished to form his party. However, people support ideology, not individuals.
Even in Karnataka people would stand with BJP, he said, adding the party had given Yeddyurappa all support.
On Yeddyurappa`s outburst against party leader LK Advani over levelling of corruption charges against him, Naidu said it was not fair to pass comments on the veteran leader as all leaders, including Yeddyurappa had grown under his leadership.
"Advaniji is the tallest and most respected leader across the political forum," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister