Thane bank duped to Rs 1.30 crore by mortgaging fake gold
Thane: Thane District Central Cooperative Bank (TDCC) has been cheated to the tune of over Rs 1.30 crore by a group of three persons, police have said.
A case under IPC Sections 420 (cheating) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) has been registered against the trio and a manhunt launched for them, they said.
TDCC is the premier bank of Thane and it recently launched its 100th branch.
Mukund Mahajan, an official at Nalla Sopara police station, said the three - Gopal Mohinder Roy, Chandrakant Deshmukh and Santosh Dattatray Virkar - had taken loans against gold which was deposited in the bank`s branches at Nirmal, Tulinj and Nalla Sopara.
As the trio failed to pay loan instalments, the bank on March 28 auctioned the gold deposited with it.
During the auction, the bank officials of the bank came to know that the gold deposited with them was fake.
The trio had taken a loan of Rs 1,30,94,000 against the gold, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand