Thane building case: Prosecution opposes bail plea of accused
Thane: The prosecution in the Thane building crash case on Tuesday opposed the bail pleas of two senior municipal officers arrested for the tragedy which claimed the lives of 74 people last month.
Suspended Deputy Municipal Commissioner Deepak Chavan and Assistant Municipal Commissioner Shayam Thorbole were among 22 persons arrested for the collapse of a seven-storey unauthorised building in Shil-Phata area.
Assistant Public Prosecutor Hemlata Deshmukh opposed the bail applications of Chavan and Thorbole.
She produced in the court account books of two accused builders which contained entries of monies paid to Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) personnel, including top officials, for protection of the illegal building which collapsed on April 04.
Deshmukh, in her argument before Judge KR Warrier, opposed the applications and said this was a case of immense importance.
The mistakes committed by the civic officials cannot be pardoned at all and they have no right to seek bail, she said.
"They knew that the building was totally illegal and hazardous and can come crashing down, claiming several lives. Taking illegal gratification cannot be pardoned at all as it is a serious matter," she told the court.
Deshmukh gave details of money alleged paid to civic officials to turn a blind eye to the illegal building`s construction.
The argument will continue in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof