Thane building collapse: 2 builders withdraw bail pleas
Thane: Two builders, arrested along with 20 others, in connection with the building collapse in Mumbra town in the district in April, which claimed 74 lives and left 62 injured, today withdrew their bail applications in a sessions court in Thane.
Their counsel Sunil Bhakre informed the Thane Session Judge, K R Warrier, that the builders would like to withdraw the bail applications as the charge sheet in the case has been filed now.
The two builders Abdul Salim Aziz Siddiqui and Jamil Ahmed Jajaluddin Shaikh, had been arrested after the seven-storey building in Shil Phata area of Mumbra township in the district collapsed on April 4.
Siddiqui and Shaikh had filed bail application. Leading criminal lawyer Majid Memon appeared on behalf of the duo and argued for their bail.
However, Additional Public Prosecutor Hemlata Deshmukh appearing for the prosecution opposed the bail of all the applicants on the ground that they do not deserve to be released on bail as they had committed a "grave crime".
Others arrested in the case are Deputy Municipal Commissioners Deepak Chavan and Srikant Sarmokdam, Assistant Municipal Commissioner Babasaheb Andale, enigneer Ramesh Inamdar, corporator Hira Patil and police constable Jehangir Sayyed, among others.
Police have filed a 3000-pages charge sheet in the court a couple weeks back and the case is likely to be tried fast track.
Bakre said that the duo would file a fresh bail application at appropriate time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Christians should ask gay community for forgiveness for past treatment: Pope Francis
- Can you SPOT Aamir Khan in this picture? SEE inside
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way